Tuesday 24 February 2009

Fuck this shit!

Do you know what I did today? I realised how lazy I have become. I scorned myself and told myself off for being so damn lazy. So now, unlike those empty promises I have fed you before, I mean it this time. BTB is not going to die because of my "I can't be bothered" attitude. I started this because I wanted to find new music and share it with others. This is the glorious return of the daily update. Not the weekly update or the monthly update. The weekly update. Now that I'm fired up again, lets do this!

The band I have found to kick start this reboot is called Pretend Girlfriend who are from Burnley. Pretend Girlfriend are a post punk/rock/pop mash up of sound and are catchy enough to be singing along and cool enough for you to proudly proclaim to be one of their fans. These 4 guys have a great chemistry between them with every member of the band playing an intricate part in carving out pure music awesomeness. They've recently recorded new material and are playing shows in Burnley. So if you're a Burnleyite (or is it Burnleyian?) go take a look because if Pretend Girlfriend's songs are anything to go by, they'll put on one hell of a show. They say it is during times like these when the economy has gone to shit and the public is apathetic to the world that the real music comes out to shine among the crap. Pretend Girlfriend are one of those shining lights guiding us through the shitstorm we're encountering.

Favourite Song: Shopping For Free

Now to slow things down slightly with a band called Just To Annoy Ray, who are from Cirencester. This bunch of girl and guys class themselves as Acoustic Folk Rock but you need to throw a bit of funk and the fact that JTAR have a certain ambience surrounding them. I will be the first to admit that similar bands to JTAR kind of threw me off liking this take on a genre but JTAR have reeled me back in with their hooks. The lead singer, Sian Chandler, has a hauntingly beautiful voice that you cannot get sick of hearing. Throw in the support from her co band members, Ray Hughes, Trevor Short, Sam Gerard and Nigel Gardner and you have one of the best recipes of a band yet.

Favourite Song: Loaded Gun

Both bands are currently unsigned so if you work for a record label , snap up these treasures.


Well that's it for today. I need breakfast. To contact me:

www.myspace.com/brokentoyboxmusic

E mail: brokentoybox@hotmail.com

No comments: